What is a Medical Malpractice Claim and Can I File One?
Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional is negligent in their care of the patient. A medical professional can mean a doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, hospital staff, or lab worker. All of these professions come with a responsibility to make decisions that will not endanger a patient’s health and safety. When an injury occurs that is the result of negligence, the patient will then have the legal right to file a medical malpractice claim against the responsible parties. At the Law Offices of Koorosh Shahrokh, our attorneys represent patients who are the victims of medical malpractice and help them get compensation for their serious injuries.
Different Types of Medical Malpractice in San Fernando Valley
There are many different types of medical malpractice. Some types are the result of a doctor’s poor decision making, and other kinds can be the fault of the hospital in general. Some of the types of medical malpractice that our San Fernando Valley personal injury lawyers can help you with include:
- Surgery Errors: Surgical mistakes are very serious accidents. They include things like nicked arteries or organs, wrong surgery site, wrong procedure, and the retention of surgical sponges or instruments inside the patient.
- Medication Errors: Medication mistakes can be serious and even deadly mistakes, and include prescribing the wrong medication, administering an improper dosage, or failing to administer the necessary medication to the patient.
- Misdiagnosis / Undiagnosed Illness: When a doctor misses all of the warning signs for an illness, the patient may be able to bring a misdiagnosis claim against the doctor. This form of medical malpractice often occurs in cancer patients, where the failure to diagnose cancer at the outset diminishes the patient’s chance of survival through early intervention.
- Birth Injuries: Both mother and child can be seriously injured in the birth process if an obstetrician or hospital staff is negligent during childbirth.
- Lab Errors: When a patient’s diagnostic test results are incorrect because of a lab technician’s negligence, the patient may have a right to bring a claim if the negligent testing resulted in an injury or illness to the patient.
- Hospital Infections: Sometimes, a patient suffers serious infections that are acquired in a hospital or other facility. When these infections are the result of negligent medical care or unsanitary conditions, the victim has a right to file a medical malpractice claim.
San Fernando Valley Law Firm for Medical Malpractice
If you were injured by a negligent healthcare worker, you have a right to file a San Fernando Valley medical malpractice lawsuit. At the Law Offices of Koorosh Shahrokh, our experienced personal injury lawyers know how to effectively represent victims of medical negligence in their claims against a doctor or hospital. Call our office today to schedule a consultation where we can review your case and help you decide whether you should file a medical malpractice claim. Remember that you have a limited amount of time to file a claim for medical malpractice in the State of California.